What is malocclusion?
Malocclusion is a condition wherein a person has protruding, crowded or crooked teeth or a poor bite, and it is difficult to take care of such teeth, resulting in tooth loss or decay over time. Severe malocclusion can also cause problems with speaking and eating.
Proper orthodontics treatment is a good way to correct malocclusion, and this can make a person feel better about their appearance. A doctor specifically trained to treat malocclusion is called an orthodontist and you should be able to find such a dental doctor in Chennai with ease.
Orthodontists use different techniques and tools to move teeth and even the jaw in the correct position, to improve the physical appearance of their clients.
What are the symptoms of malocclusion?
According to the best dentist in Chennai, the symptoms of malocclusion can be mild or serious depending on its various types.
- Changed facial appearance
- Misaligned teeth
- Speech issues
- Discomfort in chewing food
- Breathing through the mouth in place of a nose
- Repeated biting of inner cheeks.
What causes malocclusion of teeth?
Malocclusion is inherited in most cases, but some conditions and habits can also change the jaw structure, such as the following:
- Thumb sucking
- Prolonged use of a pacifier
- Abnormal teeth shape
- Oral tumours
- Compromised oral health and care
- Impacted teeth
- Ill-fitted braces or crowns
- Ill-fitted teeth fillings
- Breathing through the mouth because of allergies or enlarged tonsils
When should you see a doctor?
You must see a doctor when you detect the symptoms of this condition or if you want to acquire a cosmetically fabricated set of teeth for your physical and psychological well-being.
What are the possible complications of malocclusion?
The possible complications that can arise because of malocclusion include:
- Discomfort during malocclusion treatment
- Tooth decay or damage
- Speaking or chewing difficulty after treatment
- Gingivitis or irritation of the gums and mouth because of orthodontic appliances
How is malocclusion treated?
Different orthodontics treatments are used to correct jaws and teeth in bad shape. You will have to look fo nd safely. Different orthodontic treatments for malocclusion include:
- Removing the entire teeth set in case of crowding
- Using braces or various other aligners
- Using retainers to maintain new tooth alignment
- Performing surgery to do away with serious jaw alignment issues
For good quality malocclusion treatment, consult a dental specialist in Chennai. You can call Apollo Dental, Hyderabad, the best dental hospital in Chennai, at 18001020288 to book an appointment.
How can Malocclusion be prevented?
It is difficult to prevent malocclusion because the condition is hereditary. Some tips that can help here are:
- Parents should limit the use of bottles and pacifiers to reduce changes in jaw development.
- Children should be encouraged not to suck their thumbs.
- Detecting the condition early can decrease the severity and length of treatment.
Malocclusion is not a disease that affects physical health; it is just a variation in teeth positioning. Nevertheless, it can impact the appearance of teeth and facial shape, causing embarrassment, depression and loss of self-confidence. Therefore, it is important to consult a dentist at the best dental clinic in Chennai for effective malocclusion treatment.
Dentists check for malocclusion in kids during regular visits. If they find teeth or jaws out of line, they suggest visiting the orthodontist.
Overcrowding, underbite, overbite, spacing, open bite and overjet are some common malocclusions. Visit a dentist at the best dental clinic in Chennai to know more about malocclusion types.
Yes, surgery is needed when the condition affects the jawbone.